Thanksgiving – Eat for EyesNovember 25, 2019
Last year, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a report stating there were an estimated 251,700 toy-related injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments. Forty-four percent of the estimated injuries were to the head and face area, the most commonly affected area of the body.
According to the CPSC, of the 251,700 estimated toy-related, emergency department-treated injuries, an estimated:
- 184,000 (73 percent) happened to children younger than 15 years of age;
- 174,300 (69 percent) occurred to children 12 years of age or younger;
- 89,800 (36 percent) happened to children younger than 5 years of age
Prevent Blindness has declared December as Safe Toys Month. We urge all parents to consider these tips when choosing safe toys for the holidays:
- Inspect all toys before purchasing. Avoid those that shoot or include parts that fly off. The toy should have no sharp edges or points and should be sturdy enough to withstand impact without breaking, being crushed, or being pulled apart easily.
- When purchasing toys for children with special needs try to: Choose toys that may appeal to different senses such as sound, movement, and texture; consider interactive toys to allow the child to play with others; and think about the size of the toy and the position a child would need to be in to play with it.
- Be diligent about inspecting toys your child has received. Check them for age, skill level, and developmental appropriateness before allowing them to be played with.
- Look for labels that assure you the toys have passed a safety inspection – “ATSM” means the toy has met the American Society for Testing and Materials standards.
- Gifts of sports equipment should always be accompanied by protective gear (give a helmet with the skateboard)
- Keep kids safe from lead in toys by: Educating yourself about lead exposure from toys, symptoms of lead poisoning, and what kinds of toys have been recalled; being aware that old toys may be more likely to contain lead in the paint; having your children wash their hands frequently and calling your doctor if you suspect your child has been exposed to lead. Consult the last two websites listed below for more information.
- Do NOT give toys with small parts (including magnets and “button” batteries which can cause serious injury or death if ingested) to young children as they tend to put things in their mouths, increasing the risk of choking. If the piece can fit inside a toilet paper roll, it is not appropriate for kids under age three.
- Do NOT give toys with ropes and cords or heating elements.
- Do NOT give crayons and markers unless they are labeled “nontoxic”.